Friday, October 5, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce Home Made


Spaghetti
courtesy photobucket.com
 
At least once a week when our children were growing up, I made spaghetti for dinner.  Usually I added a can of whole kernel corn to the mix.  When my son married, and his wife fixed him spaghetti, he said to her, “Where is the corn?”  Adding corn to spaghetti was new to her, but I had a recipe from a cookbook and it became an addition we enjoyed. 

I always mixed the sauce and spaghetti together so that the sauce would go further.   I could not find my recipe, but this one is very close to the one I always made.

Serve with a side dish of corn or green peas, a green salad and French bread. 

Directions for “Best ever French bread:” Purchase a whole long loaf of French bread and cut it in half length wise.  Butter each half of the loaf.  Next sprinkle garlic powder liberally over the butter.  Place the halves back together and cut into pieces.  Then wrap in aluminum foil and pop in the over for 5 to 10 minutes when your spaghetti is ready. 

Spaghetti Sauce serves 6 to 8

Ingredients
    • 1  lb ground beef
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced ( to taste)
    • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
    • 1 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    • 1 can water in the tomato paste can
    • 6 (8 ounce or 3 large) cans tomato sauce
    • 2 (large) cans diced tomatoes
    • parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)

Directions
  1. Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in olive oil with seasonings, salt and pepper.
  2. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
  3. Stir well and bring to a simmer over medium to low heat.
  4. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
  5. Use sauce to top your cooked spaghetti.
  6. Pass the Parmesan.
This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s  Food on Fridays   

 

2 comments:

Floyd said...

This is the one recipe I can actually make? My wife is full blooded Italian and we eat different kinds of red sauces all the time. It is my favorite food, has been even as a kid.

Ann Kroeker said...

Sounds great, Hazel! I love the idea of opening up a few cans to go with the fresh things simmering in the pot.