Friday, October 12, 2012

Zucchini for Next Year


photo by Hazel
 
Our harvest is about over, the tomatoes did not do well this year, and are no more.  From our garden, we were able to enjoy fresh zucchini for several months. 
 
The Zucchini vegetables are best when they are small for steaming, stir fry or shredding into a quiche.  Of course they are also excellent shredded into nut bread.

Today I took a good look inside the large leafy plants and discovered four very large zucchini that we allowed to get away from us.

The skins were tough and we decided to save one of them for seeds for next year.

After washing the huge vegetable, I cut it in half and scooped out the seeds.  Then I washed them in a bowl and strained out the water.

Depositing the seeds onto a plate, I will allow them to dry and once they are dry, I will place them into a small paper envelope and mark on it Zucchini seeds for next year.

The steps are to plant, water and harvest. 

That is what the Bible says too.  Some workers will plant, others will do the watering of the seed and then some will participate in the harvest.

The nice thing is that God will give the same reward to all the workers, no matter what their lot.

 
This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s  Food on Fridays   
Do visit her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

 

 

 

4 comments:

Galen Pearl said...

I love zucchini bread! Lovely post and lesson.

Floyd said...

I find it amazing that you can find a story and the voice of God in any circumstance in your life! I need to open my eyes...

joy said...

Amen to that Hazel. My tomatoes were so small too because of lack of sunshine this summer. Maube better next year. Good luck to us:)

Pamela said...

I love the thought of those seeds in a paper envelope. I like to think God had an envelope with my name on it. I want to be part of God's harvest process. I want to be faithful!