Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Uninvited Visitor Repost - Happy Halloween


Unwelcomed Visitor
courtesy Photobucket.com
 
The knocking at my door was more of a violent scratching, like my dog does when he wants inside.

I pulled the curtain aside and peered out to view the hooded dark figure as he continued to thump and tap loudly.

Opening the door just a crack was enough for him to push against the door and gain entrance even without a formal invitation.

I asked his name, and he mumbled something and then quietly slid over to a corner where he sat and tried to hide while he continued observing me.

Finally I told him I was certain that I did not want him in my home.

He spoke in whispers and in a nagging dialogue he began to berate me and tell me how bad I was, and that I was no good.

His voice rose up a tone or two as he gained confidence in what he was about; “You do nothing right, and no one likes you,” was spewing from his lips.

“It was all your fault and you have no one to blame except yourself,” he continued.

“Even God will never forgive you, and you will never make heaven your home!”

How could I shut up this disgusting creature, and how could I entreat him to leave?

All that he alleged was both true and at the same time false, but now I was hurting in the pit of my stomach as he continued to criticize and rebuke my being.

Crying out to God for help seemed not to reach heaven. I had asked forgiveness, long ago, and had become a “good Christian,” so why was he doing this to me?

My thoughts turned to recent readings in my Bible, and I remembered a verse in Romans that I quoted often. I began to speak it out loud to this strange uninvited visitor.

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

 Gaining confidence - - and with a bold voice, I spoke to my visitor, and told him that Jesus lives here and that he must leave and not return.

With a crooked smile, he raised himself, and slowly slinked toward the open door and left.

But as he trudged down the path, he turned and called to me - - “I’ll be back!"

 
This post has been shared at Mary Beth’s Work in Progress
Also linked with Jennifer at:  God-Bumps and God-Incidences

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this web site.
He was entirely right. This submit actually made my day.
You cann't believe just how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!
Also visit my webpage ... learn more here

Floyd said...

I remember this one... It's scary because it's grounded in truth. The enemy is always trying to barge in and stir up trouble; spiritual and physically. I was thinking that this was a dream or vision?

a joyful noise said...

I usually do not confirm comments by anonymous, as they tend to be advertising. I do hope you understood this post that it is an allagory of how the devil comes and tells you lies uninvited. Receive Jesus into your life, and tell the devil that he is not welcome with his lies.

elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my guest post at Imperfect Prose. We're on the same wave length this week!