Sunday, October 27, 2013

When the Burdens are Too Heavy


My Yoke is Easy
courtesy photobucket.com

Matthew 11:28-30  Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

Sunday Service was different today as our Congregational church met in a combined service with Trinity Presbyterian church. 

Pastor Stanley was ministering about our heavy burdens and how they could be lightened if we will yoke up with Jesus, instead of struggling by ourselves.  As we allow Jesus to stand along side of us, our burdens become easier.

The Bible is full of promises.  “I will be your God and you shall be my people.  A promise is to keep our word and to count on (believe) the promise that it will be fulfilled.  A promise from God is one we can stake our lives on.

Jesus says, Come to me all you weary.  At times we are extremely fatigued, tired weighted down with care, and we search and seek for rest and peace.

We are restless souls in pursuit of relief, and the invitation is open to one and all, “Come.”

The heart of the Gospel is Jesus, who came in the flesh, beyond our understanding as he is fully God.  The presence of God dwelt in Flesh and the promise is Jesus.

Jesus has promised to fulfill not just our weariness, but all our needs.

Many, who consider themselves spiritual, are weighted down with rules and regulations they are not able to keep and live up to.  Doing all that “Work,” they find themselves not any closer to God.

The fact is that the Church is more of a hospital for sinners and not a country club.

Take my yoke says Jesus.  Let us pull together and learn from me.  Jesus is our personal gentle teacher and friend.  In simple obedience to him, we work together and He makes it a joy

The promise is; when we take up His yoke, there is blessing and refreshing.  Commit to Jesus and then experience the peace of God. 

He grants us strength to carry on.  We walk even run and not faint with our Lord.  In His presence is fullness of Joy and peace, not as the world gives, but a calm assurance.

It is said, that sheep will not lay down until all is peaceful and they seek out the green grass.   Jesus promises us the green pasture.

May we accept the invitation of Jesus to take up His yoke for it is easy; then to trust and obey walking forward with Jesus, one day at a time.
(added post scrip)  scroll down.
 
This post is shared with Charlotte’s Spiritual Sundays
This post is also Linked with Michelle’s Hear it on Sunday Use it on Monday

P.S.  On an interesting note. Today's Choir at the Presbyterian Church had more singers than in our entire church.  One thing that made me smile was when the choir sang their final number, they began to sway back and forth, sort of a Joyful motion.  It reminded me of my story, A Joyful Jump.  All the Presbyterian singers were cooperating, and the only ones standing stiff, were the choir members from our church who were also in the choir. 

Although I am not certain, but in my thinking, I am wondering if our small quickly diminishing church (due to members going to heaven) is thinking about merging with a live growing church like the one we visited today.

4 comments:

Wise Hearted said...

Love the truth of this post Hazel. Our burden is so heavy when we try to carry it alone. Three other ladies and I are meeting once a week to share our burdens and pray. It very uplifting to hear others carry my burden to the throne room. Where two or three are gather...

Unknown said...

Dear Hazel
Oh, my friend, there can be no heavier burden that wears us down completely than that burden of religious performance through rules and laws. Our Lord doesn't want us to serve Him for He told us in Acts through Paul that God is not served with human hands, but He came to serve us. We only need to come to Him and abide in Him.
Blessings XX
Mia

Sharon said...

A beautiful and inspiring post, Hazel. And so true. We have an old yoke in our front yard - and every time I look at it, I am reminded of that verse. Jesus working alongside of me - what glorious strength is found in that union!

GOD BLESS!

Floyd said...

Amen, Hazel. There is no peace that soothes the soul like the majestic hand of our Father. Peace comes from within. I think that is so cool that you got together with another church to embrace the love and belief that we share in our Father! That's what the church should look like!!!