Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The New Girl Teaches the Old

     New Girl
              image courtesy Photo Bucket

Excited about my new job with our County, I settled in as we collected the child support checks and entering the payments into the computer. 

At the time, the county was financially stressed, and all the employees had agreed to a 10% cut in pay. This was arrived at by working a 36 hour week instead of 40 hours. We were also cramped for space, so there was a rotation of an early shift and a later shift. I arrived at 4:00 pm and worked until 12:30 am, which was just fine with me.

Across the lobby was another facet of our department, the Enforcement officers who worked until 5:30 pm.

Although I had only worked for less than a month, my supervisor had instructed me how to update some information into the computer from the case files. Each case needed this computer update and it had been arranged for me to teach the Enforcement Officers how to correctly enter this data in sequence.

We met and I briefly explained to my co-workers what to do and they began to complete their task. If they had a question, they raised their hand, and this new girl at the office (me) would help them solve their problem.

Although I was the “new girl,” they did not resent me nor were they offended by my telling them how to complete this assignment.  I was representing Jesus and even at work I was endeavoring to be His example.

1Timothy 4:12  Let no man despise thy youth (or age); but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

One good thing that this accomplished was; “Many hands make light work,” and also I was quickly introduced to these lovely ladies who became my friends for the next several years.

As time went by and the County financial problems became less threatening, we were able to move to a larger location and return to a 40 hour week. Now we were all at one site and we no longer needed to work in two shifts.

One nice thing about this job was that we were allowed to work four 10 hour days with Fridays off. Later because some wanted the office open on Friday, we were offered a flex schedule and could decide to have Monday or Friday off what ever we preferred.

When you are the “New Person,” at work, or at your church, or school, if often takes time to become comfortable and to feel welcome and to “fit in.”  It also takes FAITH to step up and do what needs to be done.

                 image courtesy Photobucket

One thing that always helped me was to act like I belonged already - - and that this was MY job, My Church, or My School.  I took personal possession and made it mine.

That is the way we each must do with God, to see Him as MY GOD and He is our Personal Savior.

If you are having a lost feeling, may I remind you that you are a brave and courageous person, because of whom it is that lives inside YOU.

So never fear, just hold your head high because YOU are needed, and it just may be that you will be called on to help someone who has been there much longer than you.

image courtesy photobucket

This post has been shared at:




and also was shared at:
Bonnie's Faith Jam at http://www.faithbarista.com/2011/07/what-you-fear-most-is-where-faith-grows/



FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hazel - What a great post! I love how you took ownership and made others feel at home even though you were new. We can learn a lot from your example. I am in a new position at work, and though I'm not new to the company, I think it's up to me to step up to the job, to act like I belong in this position. Thanks for a great post!

Laura said...

This is such great advice, Hazel. Having the kind of confidence you model in this story takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you were able to do this successfully because you kept in mind Who you were representing. Such a wonderful example.

floyd said...

That's an interesting point, I wonder if sometimes we hold back and act like a new comer out of respect. I guess that won't get much done for the kingdom will it.