Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What’s in a Name?


image courtesy photobucket.com
 My husband would often take our early teen age, son and my husband’s brother to work with him during the summer. Doug was 4 months older than our son, and he lived with us for a period of several years. Five early teens in one house was an interesting time.  

image courtesy photobucket.com
The boys were given simple tasks to pick up the wrappings from the packs of shingles, and other non dangerous clean up jobs. If the job was Tar and Gravel, they had to stay home because this could be more hazardous.

Our roofing crew consisted mainly of family, a cousin, an uncle, and my husband’s step dad.  At times we often employed an extra man.

Our Step-dad had a habit of calling our uncle, “Brother-in-law,” instead of his given name. Send up a bucket of hot tar - “Brother-in law.” Using the pulley, soon a bucket of the hot asphalt would reach the platform at the top of the roof.

One day we hired a young black boy as a helper. The men except for Uncle were all on the roof. Uncle was the kettle man and they needed another bucket of tar. The new black boy ambled over to the edge of the roof, and yelled, “Brother-in-law, send us up a bucket of tar.”

No one could hold a straight face after that, and they all laughed until their bellies hurt.

Realizing the joke was on him, our black friend laughed too. The fellows told him, Uncle's name is Ern, but “Brother-in-law” will get his attention better! As long as that young man worked for us, he continued to call our Uncle “Brother-in-law.”

Many of us have been given a pet name by someone we love. Be it honey, dear, sweetie, darling, lover, or something else nice. We had a friend that they called “Shortie,”one called “Red,’ for his hair and another was called “Gimp” because he limped a bit.  Some kinds of nick names can be hurtful.

Amazing enough is the fact that God not only knows our names, but he knows all about us. He knew us even when we were still in our mother’s womb. Even the very hairs on our head are numbered.

The book of Revelation says that one day soon, we will receive a new Heavenly name.

I wonder if it will be similar as to the woman taking the man’s name at a marriage.  After all there will be a marriage supper of the Lamb. What a thought!

I am reminded of the hymn, “There’s a New Name Written Down in Glory and it’s mine."

This post was inspired by some thoughts received when I read Floyd’s great post:  Enjoy his story here: http://theregoi.com/finding-floyd/the-beginning-of-faith/

Linking today with Blog Hops you will want to view their sites
Joan Davis, Sharing His Beauty 
Jen’s Finding Heaven, Solo Gloria

4 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

I am thinking of the song "I Will Change Your Name". I also wonder what our new names will be like. I'm sure they will be glorious because they have been divinely chosen.

Joan Davis (Jo) said...

What is truly amazing is that God knows us by name...and even more, He knows our heart! He knew us even before we were born...and He loves us! What a blessing!

caryjo said...

I sometimes wonder what my new name will be. When I read Revelation, which seems to have happened often, and it mentions that, I always think how wonderful it will be. I don't expect it will be a word connected to "patience" or "a consistent pray-er", which is a sad bit of knowing myself, but I'm sure He'll be kinder to me than I am to myself.

Lovely post...

floyd said...

I love your personal family stories! I was surprised and honored to share in thoughts of your post. I guess being on a roof had something to do with it!

I have nicknames for all my girls, the girls I used to coach, even my wife. I can't think of a better name than the one our heavenly Father is gonna call us when we get home.

Isn't it amazing how we can have so much fun while working hard with our hands and bodies? Work is truly a gift. Thanks Hazel.