Thursday, December 22, 2011

Hands of Time


Ruth Stanton's "Hands of Time" Painted by Barbara Stanton

Early in the summer of this year, I received a request to come to the Assisted Living Home where my 99 year old mother lives. They were down-sizing unnecessary items from Mothers closet and there were three large plastic bags of winter sweaters, dresses and clothing that they wished me to give to the Salvation Army.

Taking the large bags home, I first went through them, and noticed a red flannel scarf among the items. The scarf had been a Christmas gift last December from Sara one of the attendants who cares so much for Mother. I retrieved the scarf and took the rest of the items to the Salvation Army as requested.

The beautiful red scarf was returned to Sara with a suggestion that she give it to Mother again this Christmas. It will be new to Mother who suffers from a slight memory loss as she now approaches 100 in a few days.

Remembering back last year when we celebrated Mother’s 99th birthday, my Niece Barbara and her husband William had traveled from the Bay area to be at her party. Mother was wearing the red scarf from Sara, and we enjoyed cake and ice cream.  Barbara took photos of mother and because she is a painter, she took a photo of Mother’s hands.

Barbara has actively painted miniature paintings for more than thirty years, some are no larger than a postage stamp. Often she presents us at Christmas time with a laser print of one of her paintings in the form of a magnet. This year was no exception, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover wrapped in the Christmas card she sent to us, her painting titled, “Hand’s of Time.”

The red scarf in the painting was an indication, that these were indeed my Mother’s hands. This was such a precious blessing and a lasting memento to treasure.

May I suggest that you enjoy a visit to Barbara’s site where she offers viewers a peek into her awesome works of art. Barbara has mastered her technique and continues to seek new challenges, teaching and lecturing while painting. She also offers Instructional Videos for sale on “How to Paint Miniature paintings” which may interest you.

Please visit her fascinating site at: http://www.barbarastanton.com/

Thank you Barbara for your lovely reminder that Mother’s hands now worn through time, have showered love and attention on many family, friends and loved ones.

Linked today with sites you will want to visit and view many good words there.

Joan’s Grace Café
Michelle’s Thought Provoking Thursday
Iris at Thankful Thursdays

7 comments:

caryjo said...

How lovely!! And such creativity. And a lovely daughter who arranged to have mom's scarf returned as a gift again. Like that kind of thinking.

Joan Hall said...

Hazel - this is indeed a precious gift. Heading over to Barbara's site, but first I want to wish you a blessed and joyful Christmas.

Joan

floyd said...

Thank you for the hands of Barbara to paint the hands of your mom Hazel.. That is such an amazing gift! Your family never ceases to amaze me. God is good. I'm thankful for His goodness in you that you've shared with us this year. God bless. Merry Christmas Hazel! God bless you and yours!

Ms. Kathleen said...

What a treasure to have. A blessed gift. I love this story and I am sure your children and grandchildren will treasure it always. God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Denise said...

Precious post.

Anonymous said...

From: Barbara Stanton

I had not planned on the painting. It just had to be done. God sends me inspirations that I can not ignore. This was one of them for sure. Thank you for your unconditional love and support of everyone around you. Especially Grandma. Wish we could make it up again this year but I'm afraid we can't make it. Give Grandma and everyone a big hug and kiss.
Merry Christmas to you all.

love, Barbara (& Bill too).

Anonymous said...

Dear Hazel,

Thank you, thank you for sharing this lovely photo with me. I have always held your mother in my heart. My husband, Ken Reamy, is a retired OB/GYN -- we've been married 30 years. Almost 50 years ago, your mother approached me after Sunday morning service, placed her small, tender hands on my very large belly -- and prayed for the baby that was overdue. I went to the hospital Sunday night and delivered Tessa, 8 lbs, full breech -- without any difficulty -- not even visible stitches -- Ken thinks that delivery was nothing short of amazing -- I have always believed it was your mother's prayers.

God bless those precious hands -- and may your hands and mine be equally gentle, loving, and faithful.

Happy New Years. ----- Numbers 6:23-27

Lovingly,

Eileen Ayres Reamy