Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas in By Gone Days


Shirley Temple Doll (beyond our budget)
image courtesy photobucket.com

Years gone by when I was a child at Christmas, we usually received clothing that we needed and a few small surprise gifts. One special item that we had asked for was often there too.

image courtesy photobucket.com

I was about ten years old, and I had given my doll Tricksy away a couple years before. When I told my mother that I wanted a Shirley Temple doll, she said that particular doll was too expensive. Instead she took me down to Montgomery Wards and showed me a very pretty doll within her budget. Blond hair, brown eyes that opened and closed and she cried mama. Although I didn’t play with dolls much anymore, I loved that doll and kept her for many years.

It is true that our children spoil their kids (our grandchildren.) I think they must try to make up for their own meager Christmases when they were young. When you are on a tight budget, it is difficult to flood your children with an abundance of large expensive gadgets.

image courtesy photobucket.com

However when you have a "credit card," it seems easier.

WOW - - where did that credit card bill come from?

Yes, my husband and I use a credit card, but the bill is paid in full at the end of each month. That way we do not owe the high rates of interest.

Few of us would ever own a home if we found it necessary to pay cash for a house !!  :-)

A mortgage on your home - - as long as you pay each monthly payment when it is due, is another way not to owe any man. The bill will be there each month whether it is for rent or a mortgage, just be sure to pay it on time.  Just remember that after 30 years the house will be yours.

So if it is a doll you want – choose one within your budget. A car you need – shop around and get a sensible one. A home – select one you can afford!

Living beyond your means is the sad fact that can get you (and me) into big trouble.

This post has been linked to Joan’s Grace CafĂ©.


Happy New Year to you all!



3 comments:

caryjo said...

I agree. Dave and I are on a fairly tight budget now. For a few years we did very well and had the blessing of sharing a lot of our income with those in need, our dear ones in Uganda, or ministries outside the church. Can't do so much any more and that's frustrating. But we're pretty careful how we spend, credit card or not. God is bigger and is helping and that's all that counts.

floyd said...

Although simple advice, it seems not much of anyone in our society would have listened up until now. The sweetest things we can earn are the things that we work, strive, and save for. The gratification is mostly in the work any how... At least that's the way I see it! Great advice Hazel!

Joan Hall said...

Wise words, Hazel. My husband and I have made our share of mistakes in the past, but we are moving toward being debt free.

Love the photo of the doll. I saved my dolls (they are packed away), but I still treasure the memories of many happy times playing with them.

Happy New Year to you and Robert.

Blessings,
Joan