Monday, April 16, 2012

Flower Girl


Flower Girl drops her rose petals
image courtesy photobucket.com

Often as a very young child, I would sit with my mother on the piano bench as she played the hymns at the Exeter Assembly of God church.  If the evening service was long, she would place a quilt under the front pew for me to take a nap.

There were times when mother would have me go up front on the platform and sing, “Yes Jesus Loves me,” for the enjoyment of the congregation. Although I was shy most of the time, singing for the people was something both I and they enjoyed.

One of the young ladies at the church was planning a wedding, and asked my mother if I could be the flower girl.  Mother said that could be arranged, and she would sew me a pretty dress.

The lady gave mother some material and with her old treadle Singer machine, my mother made me a lovely dress to wear in the wedding.

Practice for the wedding was simple. The lady told me all I had to do was walk down the aisle to the frong and then stand (very still) while the preacher performed the ceremony. 

The day of the wedding the lady gave me a pretty basket to carry that looked similar to an Easter Basket and inside there were rose petals. She informed me that I must drop small handfuls of the petals in the aisle, and to keep walking.

As I concentrated on doing this right, and being so I carefull while dropping petals along the way, I walked very slow.  Actually I was so concerned in doing a good job, that I stopped several times to view my work.

The lady whispered, “You are doing great. Just keep walking - - you have scattered enough roses now.”

I was so proud that I could do a good job for the lady, and mother was happy too.

When it comes to doing work for the Lord, we should take some pride at least in doing well. Not the sort of proud that causes one to become puffed up and haughty, but one that gives satisfaction and pleasure in accomplishment. This is well pleasing to God also.

Matthew 17:5 While he yet spoke, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

God was always pleased with Jesus and my desire is that He be delighted with me!

How about you, are you seeking to satisfy the Lord?


This post has been entered at Hazel's: Tell Me a True Story 
At the Well Spring’s Play Dates With God
And at Joan Davis’s Sharing His Beauty

10 comments:

caryjo said...

A few years ago I was driving to Colorado to help a couple prepare to move to Minnesota. I was going from Omaha and driving to their place -- 640 miles -- and we went back to my house for a night rest and then up to northern MN to get them settled, which is 550 miles from here. So, the total was about 2400 miles. And a couple of events on the way to MN proved that when God told me to be focused on guard behind them, He knew what He was talking about. Overall, for me, it was a 5-day "God-job." NOW, at the beginning, when I was a couple hundred miles from home, listening to the Word and worshiping, I suddenly just said, thinking of this particular possibly tough moving situation, "Why me?" And, suddenly, I heard "Because I can trust you." WOW! Yes, spiritually and otherwise, there were rather dangerous circumstances. I didn't lose my courage, b/c He had told me He could trust me. It was a huge blessing.

Sorry to give such a long story, but you hit my heart big time. As usual.

Floyd said...

I do love the stories of your life! Hazel you gotta write a book! I figure if your kids are on you I might as well be too! I wonder how you sharing your life might change the lives of others? Count me as one of them...

Denise said...

Wonderful story Hazel!

Wouldn't it be nice if people could point at us and say, "Now, that's what it's like to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord? I hope He is delighted with me too! :)

Blessings friend,
Denise

Diane Ronzino said...

Hazel, what a beautiful Truth: to be pleasing to our LORD no matter what we do. I love it. You brought me right in again. I was there peeking under the pew.

Beautiful post!

Leovi said...

Delightful story.

Wendy @ E-1-A said...

Lovely story and beautiful how you link it so simply and easily with pleasing God.

Laura said...

This makes me smile. My two nieces did much the same at my wedding. I love the parallel you draw, Hazel! I'll be thinking of the little girl you, slowly making your way to the front of the church when I go about my work this week.

Brandee Shafer said...

What a sweet story!

joy said...

What a wonderful and touching story.

Joan Davis (Jo) said...

It is such a blessing to serve the Lord! When I accomplish something I think will please Him, I am overjoyed!