Friday, October 15, 2010

Pumpkin Nut Bread - Hazel

"Could you please bake a loaf of nut bread for Church for next Sunday?" the new Pastors wife asked me. The bread was to be enjoyed during the fellowship time with the members.

My apple tree was producing so, checking my file of recipes I found a perfect quick bread that called for pumpkin, but could be varied with apples or zucchini.

As the church grew, baking this bread became a ministry for me! New members were being added and the Pastor asked my husband to teach a morning class. We were happy to serve!

About that time, I had applied for a job with the County and was hired.

Since I was already in the habit of baking nut bread each week, I began to bring various nut breads to work with me each Monday.

Each Monday, the bread was expected and enjoyed. The staff even dubbed the bread, “Hazel Bread.” Not only was this an act of love, but it also was a ministry. Many times throughout the duration of my employment, I was also able to share about The Bread that is from Heaven. What joy!

There is nothing too small for God to use. Whatever your hand finds to do – do it!

The Bible tells us that Jesus is the bread that will truly satisfy our Spiritual Hunger.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. - - - I am that bread of life.

PUMPKIN NUT BREAD (Makes 2 loaves)
Adapt this recipe with zucchini, apples or blue berries.

Place into your sifter:
3 cups flour, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp salt, 3 level tsps cinnamon, 1 ½ cups sugar.

Mix in a large separate bowl,
4 beaten eggs, 2 cups pumpkin (or other fruit) 1 cup vegetable oil.

Sift the dry ingredients into the liquid and stir well. Add ½ cup chopped walnuts and gently mix all together.

Pour into two loaf pans and bake at 350 one hour. Let cool on a rack. Serve warm or cold.

Wrap the second loaf with plastic wrap, put it into a freezer bag and freeze.

This post was shared at "FOOD ON FRIDAYS" at: http://annkroeker.com/ Please check out Ann's site. Also shared at: Simply Sweet Creations:
Photobucket

1 comment:

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Sounds yummy!


Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week! Hope to see you again this week!