Thursday, October 21, 2010

Trick or Treat

An empty pillow case was our container to collect our goodies as we trudged door to door in search of treasure that Halloween night.

The three of us kids were dressed for the occasion, and it was an evening of fun and delight.

The last house we ventured to, would not answer the door bell. Perhaps they did not hear us! Ringing the bell again did not bring a response. We peered inside the front window and could see a man sitting at his easy chair reading the newspaper. He ignored us completely.

My brother suggested that we should trick this household because they refused to treat us.

I had just enough meanness in me to agree to his idea. “What shall we do?” I asked my brother.

“Follow me,” he replied, as he started down the side of their house. There we discovered a fuse box and opening it, my brother pulled down a switch that turned off all the lights in the house. Darkness enveloped their abode, and my heart felt that darkness too!

Running away as fast as our legs would carry us, we arrived breathless at home. Nary was a word spoken, and we dared not share this event of trickery with mother.

Has anyone played tricks on you lately? There are times when the brightness in our life turns to shadows and darkness. Perhaps someone has pulled the switch or pressed the button, or you did it yourself. changing where there once was light, into gloom and night.

In times like these, I turn to my Bible to find solace, for I discover many others who were tricked, betrayed, and deceived but they refused to sit in their ashes of misery. David in the Bible, could find no one to encourage him, so he said these famous words, “I will encourage myself in the Lord.”

Jesus spoke and told us that He is the Light of the World, and those who follow him shall NOT walk in darkness. He was beaten, his closes friends were disloyal and yet, he forgave even his tormenters, and those who were ending his physical life.

The good news is that Jesus rose from the dead, and He now makes it possible for each of us, who will receive it, to enjoy His Light and Life within our very being.

Do not allow the temper to trick you by turning out your light, but instead turn to Jesus who brings His light onto your existence.

Trick or Treat? You decide!

1 comment:

katdish said...

What a wonderful story, Hazel. Thank you for sharing it.