Saturday, October 2, 2010

Unexpected Witness

Busy getting the dinner ready, I was not anxious to answer my teen age daughter’s plea.

She knew that my habit was to give everyone who came to my door, a Christian magazine, a tract or a short testimony of God’s Love.

This day, she entered the kitchen where I was occupied with cooking, and informed me that she had two persons in the front room that I could witness to. I asked her who they were, and she replied, “They came to the door, and so I invited them in.”

In my haste, I snapped back at her, “Well, you opened the door, so you can do the witnessing!”

To my daughter, my reply was unacceptable and frantically she said, “Please come and meet them.”

I had never met these people, but I did know who they were. Their religion required a certain amount of points given for hours spent in going door to door, or standing on a corner selling their magazines. These credits they believed would earn them salvation by their works. I had spoken to many of them at my door so this was nothing new to me.

I asked my daughter to stand next to me as we talked to the two smiling ladies. I told them I was happy that they had come to visit me, and I wanted to have a word of prayer with them.

All of a sudden their smiles vanished, and they decided that they needed to leave and meet their ride who was waiting for them. I did ask them to read the first chapter in the Book of John, where it calls Jesus the Word, and that He was with the Father God in the beginning and assisted in the creation.

I reminded them that in the book of Genesis, when God said, Let US make man in our own image, the US was God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit all working together as a unit.

John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

The ladies probably did not hear a word I said, but who knows? Often your words of
sharing Jesus will fall on deaf ears, but you are not the one to say how effective they are.

When witnessing, the important thing to remember is to pray first, then speak, and leave the remainder up to the Lord.

As we said our good byes to the two ladies, we simply left the rest up to God.

No comments: