Friday, October 7, 2011

Oak Bran Flax Muffins


image courtesy photobucket.com

With this colder weather, I decided it would be nice to have some healthy muffins on hand for snacks or breakfast. I got out my favorite recipe that I like so well and I share it here.

I had recently ordered some flax seed meal from one or my preferred vitamin sites; http://www.vitacost.com/ They offer excellent products at low prices.

 However I was low on walnuts, and also out of Oat Bran, so my recipe gives you some suggestions for substitutes if you are also out of anything.  

image courtesy photobucket
Our one apple tree is doing well, and gave us a bountiful harvest (One very large basket,) providing fresh apples, and I had a zucchini that needed to be used.  

Later I will core and peel apples to freeze. They will be enjoyed as apple crisp and apple nut bread and perhaps an apple pie.


Oat Bran Flax Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup flax seed meal
3/4 cup oat bran (or substitute 1 cup quick oats)
1 cup brown sugar (or substitute white sugar and add 1 T molasses)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (or substitute shredded zucchini)
2 peeled and shredded apples
1/2 cup raisins (optional also add 1/2 cup dried cranberries)
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the fruit and nuts.
Pour all into dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
Fill muffin pans 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 degrees 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 18 medium size muffins.

This post has been entered in Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/   Do amble over to her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yum, Hazel. My apple tree is puny this year. It has something to do with my husband wacking off all the new growth. But I was a good wife and didn't say anything :). Thanks for the recipe!