Friday, October 14, 2011

Shortbread Cookies



 When my children were growing up, I always had home made cookies or cake for treats. Most of my cookie recipes have been handed down from my mother, relatives or friends.  That's how you can tell they are good!

With the holidays coming up, short bread cookies are always a delight whether plain, or rolled in chocolate shot or chopped nuts.

Personally we preferred these cookies plain and you will love them as we do.

For some reason these were originally named “Ring around the Cookies,” and I never knew why.

Perhaps it is best to simplify and just call them Shortbread cookies.

Shortbread Cookies

3/4 cup soft shortening
1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Mix together well and then add

1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup quick rolled oats

Mix together thoroughly and divide in halves. Shape into a roll 1 ½” in diameter.
Wrap in wax paper and chill one hour. Slice ¼” thick.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees on a cookie sheet.
Serve with ice cream or enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.

This post linked with Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Do amble over to her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

5 comments:

Cris Ferreira said...

I loved cookies! Thanks for sharing, Hazel!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Hazel

Love, Vicki K

floyd said...

Think I'll try to get my youngest to make these for me!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Shortbread cookies are on my list to make this week. When the weather turns cool I head for the kitchen!

Ann Kroeker said...

Yum! I don't think I've ever made shortbread cookies before. I've only made shortbread itself once, and that was with the help of a French girl who knew the recipe by heart (that's how you know it's good! :) )

I'll bet your house was a great place to slip by with friends after school to snatch cookies and stories from you before moving on to work on homework.

Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!