Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday


image courtesy photobucket.com

My daughter now lives close by, but a few years ago, she and her family resided several hundred miles away.

They had made the trip to come for Thanksgiving to our place.


image courtesy photobucket.com



 I was still working, and had requested a vacation day on Friday so my daughter and I could do some Christmas shopping on the Black Friday. 

Not too far from our home, there is a large mall with a variety of stores and small shops.

We had decided to visit the Sears store as they had advertised many good bargains including a sale of winter ladies Pajamas.  Regardless of being on sale, the variety of colors made it difficult to make our decisions.

Since we were so engrossed in gathering Pajamas for all the girls in our family we did not notice the photographers from the Local Newspaper in the store taking pictures.

Snap, snap and flashes went off.  Not a thought that it might be us in the photos; we were just happy that the crowd of shoppers were so jubilant.

Having enjoyed an eventful shopping excursion, and catching lunch at the Mall’s Food Court we headed for home to be with the rest of our family.

The week end was over, our loved ones returned home to their jobs, and on Monday I went back to work.

image courtesy photobucket.com
My supervisor met me as I entered the building and exclaimed, “It was a good thing that you took a Vacation day on Friday and did not call in sick, because we all saw your picture in Saturday’s newspaper.”

If I had been inventing a lie and pretending to be sick in order to take a day off work, I would have been caught dead to rights.  There would have been the proof there in black and white for all to see.

No, I was not sick, I was on vacation.

Yes, I had done the right thing and took one of my vacation days to shop and visit with my daughter.

Now I must admit that there have been times in the past, that I have manipulated events, but as far as lying, that would be inexcusable.

One of Sir Walter Scott famous quotes says, “Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive.”

How much simpler is it to tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

Proverbs 8:7 For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

If you went shopping on Black Friday, I do hope you told your supervisor the truth.

I also trust that you got some real bargains. We did!

Linked to Spiritual Sundays, do visit there at: http://bit.ly/s0pXd7

10 comments:

Sherry Southard said...

yes, lying never works. I trust the fact that our sins will find us out. God is faithful in all things and so should we be. I am glad you found some good bargains.

Anonymous said...

Such a good lesson !!
Vicki K

Saleslady371 said...

A good reminder to tell the truth! I did shop, but much later in the day to avoid getting run over by the crowds!

floyd said...

I can always count on you to be the example of what we are to live are lives by. And I can't tell you how much I love to have you as our role model. Thank you for your obedience that gas become who you are.

betty-NZ said...

The truth is always best because a lie will always catch up with you! Good choice you made!

Lisa notes... said...

I didn't go shopping (I am so NOT a shopper). :-) Glad that you must have been taught early on to always be honest; my parents stressed that to me too. I'm thankful. It keeps us out of unnecessary trouble and honors our Father.

a joyful noise said...

I shared this story at my church today and emphasized that "there is always someone watching YOU." We are to be examples, because we do not know who is following us.
Hazel

caryjo said...

Lying is such an easy thing to do. At some really useless manners. "Fibbed" to my husband recently-- can't remember what, but something about food -- and didn't apologize for about 1/2 hour. Makes me just despise my mouth sometimes... and my heart that didn't kick in quickly enough.

OH... and you're a brave lady. I wouldn't shop on Black Friday unless the Lord sent angels to drag me that direction. LOVE to shop; don't love to put up with all that frantic behavior.

Esther Joy said...

Your post reminds me of that verse from Numbers that says "Be sure your sin will find you out." Aren't you glad you didn't have to suffer consequences because you were honest?!!

Charlotte said...

That is so special that your pictures were in the paper and even more special that you didn't have to feel guilty or get "caught". I did my Black Friday shopping online. Much easier that way. lol. What about Cyber Monday? Did a little online shopping that day too.
Blessings for a wonderful holiday.
Charlotte